I realize that the Holidays are now officially over, but I wanted to share how we celebrated. We were blessed to spend some time with both Josh’s family in Oceanside and then with my family back in Santa Cruz. It was a whirlwind, but so good and so fulfilling. For gifts this year, my brilliant sister-in-law Sarah came up with the idea of “a hand made (or tools to hand make) holiday.” It turned out to be my favorite gift giving (and receiving!) year ever! Let’s just say that my craft room gained a few incredibly helpful tools and Josh’s shop expanded a bit too. We had so much fun coming up with projects for our family- like a picnic table and benches, doll house furniture, art pieces and homemade goodies. Of course, Pinterest inspired a lot of what I did- like making button letter art, sewing paper garland and painting mason jar lids with chalkboard paint.
One of the things I did for our families was make homemade Hot Cocoa and Chai mixes. These were also inspired by Pinterest- link here (although I didn’t follow those recipes). It was a hit! The process was really quite simple and the products are delicious. I hope you enjoy these tasty drinks as much as my family and I do!
- 10 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups powdered non-dairy creamer
Chai (I doubled this recipe)
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea (like Nestea)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom (*can be expensive at grocery stores, I found mine at Cost Plus World Market for $3.99 a bottle!)
Directions (same for each recipe):
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl
- In small batches, blend the mixture in a blender to thoroughly combine and break down the ingredients (I used an off-brand bullet blender)
- Store in an airtight container
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of your mixture with hot water and ENJOY! I like to mix a little Hot Cocoa and Chai together…yum!
This was a hit for Christmas and will be enjoyed throughout the chilly winter season. My favorite is to come home after a day of work and enjoy a nice warm cup of goodness. Speaking of…I may make some right now! :)
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas season celebrated with loved ones!
Full of warm deliciousness,