This recipe came highly recommended from my brother-in-law. He warned us that it’s addictive and boy, was he right! It’s easy and you’ll be amazed at how quickly the bowl disappears. This version is an adaptation of this recipe over at allrecipes.com. Hope you enjoy!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1 tsp. vanilla (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. salt (to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. You can test the heat by adding 3 kernels of corn and covering with a lid. Once all 3 kernels have popped, you know your oil is hot (Or if you’re fancy, you can use a popper like this one that my mom has).
- Once oil is hot, add sugar, a pinch of salt, vanilla and popcorn kernels. Be careful when adding vanilla- it tends to spatter a little once it touches the oil. (I like to pour the vanilla over the white sugar before adding the popcorn to give myself a second or two before it starts to blend with the oil).
- Place lid on pot and shake. A good trick is to shake the pot for 3 seconds, let it rest for 3 seconds, shake for 3, rest for 3, etc.. This allows the oil to heat the kernels, but doesn’t let it burn. It will take a few moments for the kernels to start popping, but once they do it goes fast!
- Keep shaking until you can count at least 3 seconds between pops.
- Pour into bowl, sprinkle with salt and ENJOY!