What do you do when you find lemons on sale for $0.33 each? Make (strawberry) lemonade of course! We had my parents and my Brother’s family here for the weekend to celebrate Mother’s Day and it was only fitting to have an Edwards’ BBQ one evening. The Mason jars are from my Mom’s stockpile and the strawberry lemonade was whipped up from scratch in just a few minutes. The idea for using the jars came from Josh’s sister- so clever! It’s so easy to pre-make your drinks in the jars, store them in the fridge, pull them out and place them on ice when your guests arrive. Add a bendy straw and you’ve got yourself the perfect drink for a summer BBQ!
- 8 medium lemons or 2 c. lemon juice
- 2 lemons for garnish
- 2 cups simple syrup
- 6-7 c. water
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberry quarters (you can use fresh strawberries if you’d like- I used fresh-frozen in lieu of ice)
To make simple syrup: Boil 2 cups of water and add 3 cups of sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. You will only need about 2 cups of this syrup for the lemonade- store the remainder in a sealed container in the fridge for another use.
- Squeeze and strain seeds/pulp from lemons.
- Combine simple syrup and lemon juice in a pitcher.
- Add water until you like the taste of the lemonade (I ended up at about 6 1/2 cups water).
- Pour lemonade into Mason jars. Garnish with a lemon slice and add some frozen strawberries to each jar.
- Replace lids and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add a bendy straw and ENJOY!
My 3 year old niece loved this to the very last drop…and so did I! Hope this is a hit at your next outdoor BBQ!
Lovin’ the lemons,