Since going gluten free, I’ve had to avoid a lot of my old go-to snacks (like some granola bars, crackers, etc.). One thing I’m a fan of is a grab-n-go type snack and these granola bars fit the bill perfectly. I store them in the freezer and grab one as I’m headed out the door. I felt a little hippy-dippy while making these, but whatevs. They’re delish, easy, healthy, and best of all gluten free! Hoorah!
Homemade Gluten Free Granola Bars (adapted from this recipe)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 c. gluten-free rolled oats (Trader Joe’s has gluten free for $3.99 a bag!)
- 1/4 c. almond meal (also easily found at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 1/4 c. almond slivers
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Line an 8″x8″ pan with foil, leaving overhang on 2 sides. This will help when you pull the bars out to cut them. Spray your foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using your fingers, press the mixture firmly and evenly into your pan. Spraying your fingertips with cooking spray helps with the stickiness!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until mostly set up. They will completely set up after cooling.
- Let cool for a bit on the counter and then cover and place in freezer. Freeze for at least an hour (mine were in the freezer overnight). Remove bars by lifting foil out of pan. Cut into 8-10 bars, wrap in parchment paper, place in a ziploc bag and store in fridge or freezer. They’re edible straight from the freezer!
You can substitute most any of these ingredients for whatever you’d like! In my next batch I think I’ll sub in apple sauce for the banana and maybe add some chia seeds or flax. You could also add raisins, dried cranberries, dates, walnuts, pepitas…the possibilities are endless!
The granola eater,