One thing that I WASN’T excited about when starting Whole30 was giving up dairy in my coffee. I tend to use a leeeeeetle bit too much cream in my coffee sometimes #understatementoftheyear. I’ve never liked black coffee on it’s own, so I wanted to come up with a way to have creamy coffee without all the unnecessary dairy (unintentional rhyme right there!) I had heard people talking about Bulletproof Coffee (here’s the website) but wasn’t wanting to use it as a meal replacement or crazy energy boost. I also didn’t want/need the butter that’s traditionally used in Bulletproof Coffee. BUT I liked the idea of a creamy, frothy, delicious tasting coffee. So, based on a few different ideas I found on Instagram and online, I started making this Coconut Blended Coffee that uses coconut cream, coconut oil, cinnamon and some cacao powder. It seriously changed my life. It’s not sweet at all, but the coconut and cacao definitely cut any bitterness out of the coffee. It’s creamy, frothy, and oh-so-delicious.
You can use a regular blender, an immersion blender, or this handy milk frother to whip it all together and make it frothy. I’d recommend NOT skipping the blending part – it emulsifies the coconut oil and makes it creamy. Plus, who doesn’t like a frothy cup of goodness in the morning?!
- Coconut Blended Coffee
- 1 mug of hot brewed coffee
- 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut cream (Trader Joe's sells cans of coconut cream, or you can just scoop the cream off the top of a cold can of coconut milk),
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of 100% cacao powder
- a dash of cinnamon
- Use an immersion blender, regular blender, or frothing wand to blend it up. Drink immediately and enjoy your frothy goodness!